John D. Mineck Fellowship for Furniture Arts
The Boston-based John D. Mineck Foundation created a fellowship to encourage and support a young-in-career furniture artist with financial assistance to help them succeed in their artistic journey. The fellowship has been designed to support a talented furniture artist looking to fulfill an apprenticeship, develop their skills, and/or make the transition to independence.
The John D. Mineck Furniture Fellowship is a cash award of $25,000 awarded annually to a furniture artist or a furniture artist collaboration. The award is administered by The Society of Arts + Crafts.
Will Tracey (2009), Libby Schrum (2010), Bart Niswonger (2011), Nick Hollibaugh (2012), Vivian Beer (2013) Kimberly Winkle (2014), Sarah Marriage (2015), Annie Evelyn (2016), Jack Mauch (2017), Tom Shields (2018), Beatriz Mayorca (2019), Aspen Golann (2020).
Fellowship Criteria & Guidelines
The fellowship focuses on furniture makers whose work is contemporary and functional. Preference will be given to artists who live and work in the Northeast United States. International entries are not considered. Traditional and sculptural furniture makers as well as candidates from other regions in the United States may also be considered.
The following criteria will be considered in evaluating applications:
- Quality of the artwork, strength of vision, and a portfolio that evidences growth beyond school or university work
- Artwork and résumé demonstrating perseverance and commitment to an artistic career
- The strength and feasibility of the fellowship proposal
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application
- Artist collaborations will be considered
- Currently enrolled, full-time students are not eligible
Application Deadline: August 31, annually for the current award year.
Applications are accepted year-round.
Application Fee: $25
Additional information and application form: https://societyofcrafts.submittable.com/submit/174796/2021-john-d-mineck-fellowship-for-furniture